On April 11, 2020, Mayor de Blasio and Chancellor Carranza announced that we will continue remote learning for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
In his message to parents, Chancellor Carranza said, "This is a painful but necessary decision for two reasons. First, public health experts have determined that community transmission of COVID-19 will be widespread well into the end of the school year. Even at low-level transmission, we’d have new cases, which would be extremely difficult to contain school-to-school. We believe there simply wouldn’t be enough time to bring our students back. Second, we, as parents, know how important it is to have some sense of predictability in order to effectively plan for your family. This crisis is hitting all of us very hard. But we are hopeful that this sense of certainty will allow for more stability and the ability to better plan for our work and home lives."
The DOE has shared the following commitments to all families:
1. Every student who has requested an internet-enabled device will have one by the end of April. Please be sure to complete the Remote Learning Device Request Form if your child needs a device to complete their assignments.
2. We will make sure that parents can ask and get answers to their questions about remote learning. Please do not hesitate to email Principal Pulphus (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns regarding remote learning at Bronx Design and Construction Academy. You may also email teachers directly by visiting the Faculty and Staff Directory.
3. We’ll continue to invest in instructional resources, enrichment programs, and student supports for your families to engage in learning at home. Tutoring will be available for students who need extra help. Students are also encouraged to attend their "live" classes when they are in session throughout the week.
4. We will ensure every high school senior is supported towards graduation. There will be periodic town halls and 1-on-1 guidance meetings with seniors to discuss their progress to graduation. It is important for seniors to pass all of their classes in order to earn credit towards meeting the graduation requirement. Additionally, college and career counseling will be provided remotely. Students, please be sure to respond to calendar invitations to remain informed about when meetings will take place.
5. We will reopen schools stronger than ever in September. Without a doubt, the 2020-2021 will be an exciting year!
This is truly a challenging time that we are facing right now. However, the faculty and staff at Bronx Design are determined to ensure all of our students are supported during this time, and can still experience academic success.